A renter is only as good as their ability to inspect any potential apartments before signing a lease. When it comes to renting an apartment, certain things must be inspected before deciding if the apartment is suitable for you. There are four major areas where attention must be paid before renting an apartment, water, electricity, pipes/plumbing system, and ventilation system. You can also consider https://pinnaclepest.com/elk-grove-pest-control-service-center/ to understand better pests and other significant aspects that need more clearance before deciding on an apartment.
Because damage can occur quickly, it is best to hire a professional when doing your inspection. A professional will work on a different level of detail than a renter would need and can thus find many things that a renter misses. Some things such as a large amount of dust under the sink or mold in the bathroom can be seen only after hiring someone who specializes in inspecting apartments due to their advanced knowledge of ventilation systems and water issues.
- Water Tanks –
- Inspect water tanks frequently and make sure that they are not leaking. Water leaking from a tank will often result in expensive damages. In addition, leaks from tanks are tough to notice even by a professional, and they are very dangerous to live with. These leaks can also cause plumbing issues such as clogged drains, or worse yet, flooding the entire building. Also, ensure that all pipes leading out of the apartment are secure and not cracked or compromised in any way.
- Leaks from pipes (even minor) will cause water damage and thus lead to higher electricity bills due to the necessity of using the air conditioner. An inspection of pipes can be done by removing a cover plate or maintenance hole or looking behind walls. These are the easiest way to check for piping issues. When the piping inspection is finished, it is good to perform an inspection on all plumbing fixtures in the apartment, such as sinks and tubs.
- Pipes/Piping System –
- Every single pipe which is in the building must be inspected before renting. It includes vents, toilets, kitchen vents, and other things like this. Even minor issues with these piping systems are dangerous. For example, issues such as loose or cracked pipes can lead to water system leaks and thus lead to expensive repairs. In addition, some pipes may be hidden, so inspect these as well.
- This is why it is essential to have all plumbing inspected by a professional before renting an apartment. It is also essential to check the capacity of water tanks and the size of pipes to determine if the building has a sufficient water supply. It is a crucial step and is even more important in older buildings.
- Ventilation System –
- Every apartment must have a proper ventilation system in place. In addition, almost all apartments need an exhaust (or “return”) venting system installed. Such systems help prevent harm to the human nose and lungs from airborne contaminants such as mold and dust. In addition, return vents allow air to flow out of the building, thus helping to keep heat in during the summer and cool air out in the winter.
- A properly working return vent has a filter that traps airborne particles and keeps them from entering any occupied space. Therefore, replacing filters is essential to the proper function of a ventilation system. In addition, a regularly maintained ventilation system will help prevent leaks and suffer from fewer mechanical problems.
- Air Quality –
- The apartment must be inspected regularly for any potential signs of poor air quality or leaks and any signs of excessive dust or mold. In addition, you can inspect specific places in each room to check for air problems. Of course, a house inspector will perform more than just these checks; however, they can help identify many of these problems.
- First, check air vents to see if they function correctly by testing airflow and temperature. Next, check the floor for signs of water damage or rot, which could cause mold growth. Lastly, inspect all potential places where mold can grow by looking behind walls, under sinks, or in water tanks.
Above all else, when performing an inspection of an apartment before signing a lease, you must determine if there is a proper ventilation system in place. It is essential to breathe freely in your home, and a lack of proper ventilation can lead to health problems such as allergies and asthma. In addition, by inspecting an apartment, you will determine if there is any risk of damage to the building that may potentially happen later. Also, by performing your inspection, you will know if you have a potential problem with your building. Try to stay focused to understand better the details mentioned above.